General Membership Meeting Minutes
April 6, 2011
Meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.
President: Fundraising is done for the year. Dirk will be sending out grant application forms next week to all coaches, advisors and parent reps. Dirk explained application form; asks for detailed description of how they will use the money. Last year ended up disbursing the money in the last week of school which made it hard for kids to know what we did. Everyone will have a deadline of May 16 for grant submittals. Want to disburse the money the first week of June. Johanna suggested announcing grants at student council. Want the kids to know that what they did to help us award their groups. We want parent reps/students to be involved in writing the grant. Want teachers/coaches to let students know what Boosters is giving to them.
Last year we had 23 requests for $27,000 and granted $15,000. We have $15,000 again this year to give. We don’t give money for food or travel. We give for capital expenditures.
We want to advertise in the last Piper to show what we did. Need Piper to hold a spot for and ad again this year.
Dinner before the spring play: Andy Kidd never responded to Dirk’s email, so nothing has been done about it. Theresa needs a month notice to do the food, which is now. She did a great job with food at the dance.
Johanna: Working on a calendar for next year. Booster meetings will continue on Wednesdays. A big school 50th anniversary open house is being planned for Sept 10th 11:00-3:00, with a ½ hour program in gym, Booster BBQ in courtyard, pep band playing happy birthday, etc. Community will be invited. Will be a fun celebration. Writing press releases & will create ‘Shorecrest Turns 50’ page on Facebook with this event. Hope alumni will friend & rsvp to the event. Homecoming will be October 14. Can’t fit in extra 50 year celebrations during homecoming. Boosters barbeque that night could be bigger; include face painting, etc. Will make 50 year t-shirts – letting students run that part. Will ask for suggested donations to cover costs. Boosters could sell 50 year items on web site, which can be linked to school’s 50 year web site.
Suggestion was made to sell tiles/bricks as a fundraiser. Need to talk to Pat about it if it’s something we want to do. Suggestion to send letters to businesses to sponsor parts of event. Should get alumni parents to help. Chairs of reunion committees would have lots of alumni info.
After homecoming game, could have an alumni mixer at Shoreline Center. Need to call Shoreline Center to see if room is available for that night. The Shorewood/Shorecrest game is September 23rd. Should we do a beer garden that night after the game for all SW & SC parents?
Board: One new Board member to vote in: Sandra Jones as Treasurer. Trudy will be membership chair. Marcia Johnson moved to approve both positions, seconded by Alice Lawson. Unanimous approval by membership.
Still looking for co-president, spirit wear chair, and secretary. Jane and Kristen will continue to do web site. Jeannie Miller has been asked be the Secretary, and is interested.
Web Site: Jane and Kristin want to do a quarterly newsletter/email. Suzanne agreed to write the email. Will request information from coaches and club advisors for newsletter and blog. Will want recaps and previews, which will go onto the blog. Suzanne will pull from blog for the newsletter. Want to hear about successes. Jane enters all of the info into the blog. Jane also sends out emails (not as dependent on Michael Bellert now). Johanna is trying to get a student to be a ‘reporter’ and report on this type of info. We want info about all clubs and activities and sports. Anything that is fun to know. Johanna suggested going directly to the captains. Jane can send email to both captains and advisors.
Spirit Wear: Made about $1000 profit this year. Spent $1200 more this year than last year and are at the same profit as last year. Have a lot of spirit wear going forward. Need someone to take this over next year. Possibly Liz Richmond, if we can find someone to co-chair it with her.
Dance: It was fun. Added some trivia which was a good addition. Had a dessert & wine auction which went over well. Didn’t have the attendance we wanted and needed. Only had 39 people there. Profit was $1100. Sold 50 bottles of wine. Had some great desserts.
Fundraisers: Open discussion about future fundraisers. Board wants to do a spring auction next year – March 24, 2012 (needs to change to one week later because that is the day band and choir return from Ireland). Need to let Shoreline Center know by end of September if we are going forward with it. Have to get an auction committee together very soon to make this work. Shorewood team has about 30 people who work on it year round. Need to put together a list of jobs to figure out how many people are needed to do an auction. Maybe ask Shorewood to work with us on how to do it. Need to create a focus group & have a meeting soon. Suggestion to use student groups to come do performances at events in order to get parents to attend. Can we move forward with this? It takes teamwork. It would be a ‘building’ year – need to build the function over the coming years. Dirk will send out an email about a focus group.
Dirk is meeting with Pat Hegarty on April 25th to discuss how Boosters and staff can get more involved together.
Next meeting: Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Helping strengthen community support for all Shorecrest teams, clubs and programs.
To enhance the high school experience for Shorecrest students and their families by supporting school-sponsored student activities through fund raising events that supplement school district resources.